Diabetes-Friendly Recipe Video: Grandma's Zucchini Loaf
Updated: Nov 7, 2021
It's September and that means ZUCCHINI TIME! Time to make my yummy Grandma's Zucchini Loaf from Diabetes Essentials published by Robert Rose (2020).
Follow along as Chef Davis Knight prepares my recipe; video link and recipe are below photo.
Watch video by clicking on this link.
Grandma’s Zucchini Loaf
©Diabetes Essentials, by Karen Graham and Mansur Shomali (Robert Rose, 2020)
Makes 12 slices
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup quick cooking oats (or steel cut oats), divided
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1-3/4 cups lightly packed grated zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-1/2- by 4-1/2-inch loaf pan or line it with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup oats, walnuts, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, oil and vanilla. Stir in zucchini. Add flour mixture in three additions, stirring just until moistened.
4. Spread batter in prepared pan. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and the remaining oats; sprinkle evenly over the batter.
5. Bake for 1 hour until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately remove from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition per slice
Carbohydrate 26 g
Fiber 1 g
Net carb 25 g
Protein 4 g
Fat, total 9 g
Fat, saturated 1 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 177 mg